First Place Prize: $2,500, plus a 6 month Mentorship
Second Place Prize: $1,500
Third Place Prize: $1,000
All prizes and programming have been generously sponsored by RBC Emerging Artists Fund.
Award Submission Guidelines:
- Submissions are open for Supporting and Student members of Playwrights Guild of Canada in good standing who have never had a professional production and have never been full members of PGC.
- The playwright (and the play) must not yet have had a professional production. The play could have been workshopped, but it hasn’t had a professional production. If it has been produced during the Fringe it is still considered eligible. Please contact PGC for plays that have been selected for further production (i.e. Toronto Fringe’s Next Stage Festival) or juried festivals such as SummerWorks.
- The play needs to be a minimum of 60 minutes in length.
- The play must be written in English or be the first English translation.
- Theatre for Young Audience plays will not be accepted. There is another award for TYA applicants.
- The play can either be an original work or an adaptation.
- Adaptations are accepted, but must involve substantial changes in form and/or expression. If the adapted work is not in the public domain, the playwright must include written permission from the original creator.
- Permission for any copyrighted material needs to have been obtained prior to submitting. PGC staff can request proof of permission at any time during the submission and jury process.
- Musicals are not accepted. If your submission is a musical, please submit to the Dan School of Drama & Music Musical Award.
- Plays that were submitted to the 2021 Award program are ineligible unless substantial changes have been made.
- If there is more than one author, only one must be a member of PGC.
Questions? Contact Mindy Doherty Griffiths, Public Relations Manager for Playwrights Guild of Canada at 416-703-0201, or email email@example.com. Please note that our staff does not work on Saturday or Sunday and cannot respond to your questions during that time.
DEADLINE: Complete application forms must be submitted by May 16th 2022 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
The entry fee is $21.50 per title entered. No Refunds for incorrect submissions.
PGC cannot provide feedback to playwrights who submit their play to this award.