First Place Prize: $2,500, plus a 6 month Mentorship
Second Place Prize: $1,500
Third Place Prize: $1,000
All prizes and programming have been generously sponsored by RBC Emerging Artists Fund.
Award Submission Guidelines:
- Submissions are open for Supporting and Student members of Playwrights Guild of Canada in good standing who have never had a professional production and have never been full members of PGC.
- The playwright (and the play) must not yet have had a professional production. The play could have been workshopped, but it hasn’t had a professional production. If it has been produced during the Fringe it is still considered eligible. Please contact PGC for plays that have been selected for further production (i.e. Toronto Fringe’s Next Stage Festival) or juried festivals such as SummerWorks.
- The play needs to be a minimum of 60 minutes in length.
- The play must be written in English or be an English translation.
- Theatre for Young Audience plays will not be accepted. There is another award for TYA applicants.
- The play can either be an original work or an adaptation.
- Adaptations are accepted, but must involve substantial changes in form and/or expression. If the adapted work is not in the public domain, the playwright must include written permission from the original creator.
- Permission for any copyrighted material needs to have been obtained prior to submitting. PGC staff can request proof of permission at any time during the submission and jury process.
- Musicals are not accepted. If your submission is a musical, please submit to the Dan School of Drama & Music Musical Award.
- Plays that were submitted to the 2023 Award program are ineligible unless substantial changes have been made.
- If there is more than one author or a collective creative, only one must be a member of PGC.
- If music, of which the playwright submitting is not the creator, written permission(s) must be provided for the use of the music in their script.
Questions? Contact Mindy Doherty Griffiths, Public Relations Manager for Playwrights Guild of Canada at 416-703-0201, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that our staff does not work on Saturday or Sunday and cannot respond to your questions during that time.
DEADLINE: Complete application forms must be submitted by March 21st 2024 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.
The entry fee is $21.50 per title entered. No Refunds for incorrect submissions.
PGC cannot provide feedback to playwrights who submit their play to this award.
There are two steps for the submission process this year.
Step 1: Please click on the link to access the registration form with details pertaining to your submission. Once your membership has been verified, you will then move onto step two.
Step 2: You will receive a link to the email address you provided in your submission form for uploading your play and paying the submission application fee.
Submissions open February 5th, 2024 and close March 21st, 2024 at 11:59pm Pacific time.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered for an award. Once an entry has been submitted, it cannot be changed, updated, or otherwise altered in any way. Entrants seeking to correct errors or provide updates must re-submit again using the same process as the first entry (including the fee).
If this form does not meet your visual or accessibility needs, or if you require a different format, we are happy to assist with a different process. Please call our office at 416-703-0201, or email email@example.com.
Not a Member of PGC? Click HERE for Membership.