Launched in April 2017, PlayConnect is our revamped version of the Canada Council Readings Program. It connects playwrights with communities and new audiences by providing an opportunity for travel funding, promotion, and professional development. As a network liaison, PGC ensures that the program is accessible and inclusive of a wide-ranging group of artists and audiences. *PlayConnect is funded by the Canada Arts Council and open to full members of PGC.
Applications for the first intake of PlayConnect are now closed. The second intake will open on September 1st, 2019. You may still apply for the program and will be contacted once funding becomes available.
If you would like to host a playwright reading or if you are a member looking to set up a reading for yourself, please read the guidelines carefully and apply through the appropriate application forms.
$250 + up to $600 transportation
A full reading consists of one reading presented by a single playwright at a single reading event. Readings should be around 30 minutes long. A 15 minute Q&A period or open discussion with an audience can be added on as well.
$125 + up to $600 transportation
A joint reading consists of two or more playwrights reading or is a reading event as part of a larger event, for example festivals. Readings should be around 20 minutes long for each playwright. A 15-minute Q&A period or open discussion with an audience can be added on as well.
- Readings are done by the playwright themselves. This funding does not go toward paying actors.
- Requests for readings must be made at least one month prior to the scheduled or proposed reading date.
- Please allow up to two weeks for a response after you have submitted an application. Should your application be approved, you will receive a confirmation with your next steps to secure your booking. For Hosts, this will include an administrative fee of $50 (+tax).
- Playwrights must be Full members of PGC, in good standing.
- All Full PGC members are eligible for up to two readings per fiscal year.
- PGC’s assistance is available to help playwrights and hosts set up the reading and organize the reading that is already in the planning stage.
- Playwrights must go through an onboarding process with our program coordinator once their application is approved. A video tutorial will become available once the reading has been set up.
- Playwrights will pay for their own transportation and submit receipts (up to $600) to be reimbursed after the reading. Receipts will be submitted with the Transportation Expense Form.
- Transportation Funds do not cover accommodations or per diems. Receipts for transportation that do not directly apply to the reading event will not be accepted.
- Since funds are limited, playwrights are required to use the most economical form of travel available.
- If the playwright is using their personal vehicle, they will be reimbursed at a rate of $0.32/kilometre ($0.52/mile). This rate includes the use of a vehicle and gas expenses.
- Other forms of travel (bus/ferry/taxi): for other forms of travel the playwright must pay for the ticket and submit their receipt for reimbursement with the Transportation Expense Form.
- Please note: if you have not sent in the transportation report within one month of the date of the scheduled reading, your transportation funding will be revoked and placed back into the funding pool for other playwrights to use.
- In the case of a cancellation or postponement of the reading by the host organization, the host will reimburse PGC for the playwright’s travel expenses (if ticket has already been purchased). If the time, date or location of the reading changes, please notify PGC so we may update our calendar.
Intakes (two per year)
March 1st – September 1st (or until funding is depleted)
Applications open March 1st for readings happening after March 31st. ⅔ of the annual funding will be allocated for this first intake.
September 1st – March 1st (or until funding is depleted)
Applications open September 1st for readings happening from October 1st-March 31st. These are applications for the last third of the annual funding. 1/3 of the annual funding is saved for this second in-take for playwrights who need to wait until he fall to confirm reading details. These applications are open until March 1st.
- Hosts are required to pay an Administrative Fee of $50 unless they are eligible for our admin fee subsidy. Please inquire about the fee subsidy if you are an organization or collective with an operating budget of under $10,000.
- Venues must be open to the general public free of charge at the time of the reading. School readings are exceptions.
- Venues are obligated to advertise the reading to members of the general public. Advertisements must clearly acknowledge the support of Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC). Use of the PlayConnect logo is required on all promotional materials.
- The playwright must be a full PGC member in good standing. Click here to browse through our directory of member playwrights. Each full member is eligible for up to two readings per year (full or joint). Playwrights are not guaranteed the maximum amount of readings, as there is limited space available.
Information for Playwrights and Hosts already participating in PlayConnect:
Is there funding left in the PlayConnect program?
Try submitting an application. If the form is open for submissions, then there may be funds left. If there are no funds left, the submission form will be closed. You can also email email@example.com to inquire.
Am I eligible for a PlayConnect reading?
If you are a full member in good standing, then you are eligible for two readings between April 1st and March 31st.