Launched in April 2017, PlayConnect is our revamped version of the Canada Council Readings Program. It connects playwrights with communities and new audiences by providing an opportunity for travel funding, promotion, and professional development. As a network liaison, PGC ensures that the program is accessible and inclusive of a wide-ranging group of artists and audiences. *PlayConnect is funded by the Canada Arts Council and open to full members of PGC.
If you would like to host a playwright reading or if you are a member looking to set up a reading for yourself, please read the guidelines carefully and apply through the appropriate application forms.
$250 + up to $600 transportation
A full reading consists of one reading presented by a single playwright at a single reading event. Readings should be around 30 minutes long. A 15 minute Q&A period or open discussion with an audience can be added on as well.
$125 + up to $600 transportation
A joint reading consists of two or more playwrights reading or is a reading event as part of a larger event, for example festivals. Readings should be around 20 minutes long for each playwright. A 15-minute Q&A period or open discussion with an audience can be added on as well.
- Readings are done by the playwright themselves. This funding does not go toward paying actors.
- Requests for readings must be made at least one month prior to the scheduled or proposed reading date.
- Please allow up to two weeks for a response after you have submitted an application. Should your application be approved, you will receive a confirmation and invoice for administrative costs ($50). Administrative fees are non-refundable. You may send a cheque payable to Playwrights Guild of Canada.
- PGC’s assistance is available to help playwrights and hosts set up the reading and organize the reading that is already in planning stage.
- Playwrights must go through an onboarding process with our program coordinator once their application is approved. Video tutorials become available once the reading has been set up.
- Playwrights may request transportation funds, up to $600 per independent reading. Transportation funds are limited and must be requested in advance of the reading. In addition, the playwrights are required to use the most economical form of travel available.
- In case the playwright is using their personal vehicle, they will be reimbursed at a rate of $0.32/kilometre ($0.52/mile). This rate includes the use of a vehicle and gas expenses.
- Other forms of travel (bus/ferry/taxi): for other forms of travel the playwright must pay for the ticket and submit their receipt for reimbursement.
- Transportation funds must be used for the most economical form of travel. These funds are limited and must be requested in advance of the reading. (Please note: if you have not sent in the transportation report within two months of the date of the scheduled reading, your transportation funding will be revoked and placed back into the funding pool for other playwrights to use.)
- In the case of a cancellation or postponement of the reading by the host organization, the host will reimburse PGC for the playwright’s travel expenses (if ticket has already been purchased). If the time, date or location of the reading changes, please notify PGC so we may update our calendar.
Intakes (two per year)
Applications open March 1st and are open the entire fiscal year. ⅔ of the funding will be allocated for this first intake.
Applications open September 1st and are open until March. These are saved slots for readings later in our fiscal year. ⅓ of the funding will be saved for members who need to wait for this intake date.
- Hosts are required to pay an Administrative Fee of $50 unless they are eligible for our admin fee subsidy. Please inquire about the fee subsidy if you are an organization or collective with an operating budget of under $10,000.
- Venues must be open to the general public free of charge at the time of the reading. School readings are exceptions.
- Venues are obligated to advertise the reading to members of the general public. Advertisements must clearly acknowledge the support of Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC). Use of the PGC logo is required on all promotional materials.
- The playwright must be a full PGC member in good standing. Click here to browse through our directory of member playwrights. Each full member is eligible for up to two readings per year (full or joint). Playwrights are not guaranteed the maximum amount of readings, as there is limited space available.
For Playwrights and Hosts already participating in PlayConnect
- Both the Host and the Playwright are required to submit an Agreement Form before the reading event.
- Both the Host and the Playwright are required to submit evaluation forms to PGC.
For Hosts: click here to open the evaluation form.
For Playwrights: click here to open the evaluation form.
- Playwrights who have applied for transportation funds must also submit an expense report accompanied by original receipts or travel tickets within two months. PGC will issue a cheque directly to the playwright. Please note: if the playwright’s travel forms are not received within two months of the date of the scheduled reading the travel subsidy will be automatically revoked and placed back into the funding pool for other playwrights to use.
Is there funding left in the PlayConnect program?
Try submitting an application. If the form is open for submissions, then there may be funds left. If there are no funds left, the submission form will be closed. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
Am I eligible for a PlayConnect reading?
If you are a full member in good standing, then you are eligible for two readings between April 1st and March 31st.