**The Carol Bolt Award is on hiatus for 2021 and will resume in 2022.**
Funding for the award is generously sponsored by Alberta Playwrights’ Network, Playwrights Canada Press, Manitoba Association of Playwrights (MAP), Playwrights Atlantic Resource Centre (PARC), Playwrights’ Workshop Montreal, Playwrights Theatre Centre, and Playwrights Guild of Canada.
Award Submission Guidelines:
- The playwright must be a full member of Playwrights Guild of Canada in good standing.
- Be a minimum of 60 minutes in length.
- The play will have had a premiere production by a professional theatre company between May 1st, 2020 and May 1st, 2021. The 2021 Awards will also accept digital premiere productions by a professional theatre company. (Please note, should you submit a digital premiere production for the 2021 award season, should that piece receive a live premiere production later, that submission will not be accepted for the 2022 Carol Bolt Award.)
- Be written in English or be the first Canadian production of a play translated in to English.
- An original work
- Permission for any copyrighted material has been obtained
- Theatre for Young Audiences plays are not accepted. There is a separate award for TYA applications.
- Adaptations are accepted, but must involve substantial changes in form and/or expression. If the adapted work is not in the public domain, the playwright must include written permission from the original creator.
- If there is more than one author (including co-writer, composer, etc) all authors must be included on the application form, but only one must be a full member of PGC.
- If you are submitting a musical, provide a recording of at least 5 different song excerpts.
- A blind submission is not necessary for this award. The creator’s name should be visible on the script.
The recordings do not need to be professionally recorded (piano & vocals will suffice). This is to give the jury an idea of tone. Each song selection should be under a minute and in .wav format.
Questions? Contact Mindy Doherty Griffiths, Public Relations Manager for Playwrights Guild of Canada at 416-703-0201, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: Please note the Carol Bolt Award is on hiatus for 2021 and will resume in 2022.
The entry fee is $21.50 per title entered. No Refunds for incorrect submissions.
Submissions have now closed. If you need to contact someone about your submission, please email email@example.com.