Check back often for more details, and make sure to follow us on social media and sign up for our newsletter for all hiring announcements.
Toronto Fringe is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the communities we serve, as well as actively working on dismantling systems of oppression and centring care in our work. We actively encourage and prioritize applications from equity-deserving groups. Equity-deserving groups can include those who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Trans, Nonbinary, Queer, Disabled, and intersections of those identities.
Job Title: TD Marketing Associate
Organization: Toronto Fringe
Reports to: Communications Manager
Direct Reports: n/a
Department: Toronto Fringe Festival
Term: Seasonal employment contract, 20 weeks
Hours: Our team generally works weekdays between 9:30-5:30pm; this position is part of the administrative team and the hours are scheduled to align with the work flow of the Communications Manager and communications department. The contract begins with a part-time schedule, then increases to full time later in the spring to meet the needs of prepping for, loading in and running the festival.
Location: Our office is located downtown Toronto, at 100 Broadview Avenue. The organization is operating under a hybrid work model, with staff working both remotely and in-office. This position will be required to work primarily in-office, and will be required to work on-site during the festival dates of the Toronto Fringe Festival.
Salary: $12,000 CAD
Deadline to apply: Wednesday February 14, 2024, 11:59pm ET
Interview Dates: February 19-23, 2024
Start Date: March 11, 2024
Toronto Fringe is a grassroots, charitable organization that runs the Toronto Fringe Festival each July, the Next Stage Theatre Festival each October, and various year-round programs that benefit youth, artists, and the theatre community at large. We are a creative match-maker, connecting artists with audiences, and empowering everyone to unleash their inner artist. We create opportunities for both emerging and established artists to produce their work with artistic freedom, while engaging members of the community by making productions as affordable and accessible as possible.
The Toronto Fringe is an organization that is inclusive and accessible and all of our programming reflects this principle. We ensure that we produce well-marketed, well-organized and fiscally stable events through which artists may develop and produce new work. In our festivals, participants have a reasonable opportunity to earn back their investment and compensate themselves for their work. The Fringe also provides audiences with the opportunity to experience a wide variety of quality theatre at an affordable price. We are proud members of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals (CAFF) and World Fringe. More information here.
Organization Mission and Values:
The Toronto Fringe is a platform for everyone to access, discover, and experiment with the arts. By valuing creative experiences, we contribute to a healthy arts economy and, ultimately, a thriving society.
ACCESS - in every sense of the word
ACCOUNTABILITY - we work with integrity and respect
CREATIVITY - freedom of expression permeates everything we do
EXPLORATION - we let curiosity be our guide
SUPPORT – empowering you to take a chance
The Toronto Fringe, through the generous support of TD Bank's Ready Commitment program, is seeking an organized, positive and enthusiastic individual to fill the position of TD Marketing Associate. This position offers an advancing internship experience that develops skills in arts marketing and administration, community building, and public communications. It is ideal for emerging arts administrators who are still developing their careers and are interested in further mentorship and training in arts marketing and communications.
This position will assist in the execution of the Toronto Fringe’s visibility and engagement campaigns via digital and community initiatives and projects. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the team by supporting the Communications Manager in executing the 2024 Toronto Fringe Festival.
We are searching for a passionate and resourceful individual with a keen interest in working in the arts and in a festival environment. The ideal candidate has a willingness to learn, and is comfortable taking on projects, and collaborating as a member of a team. Our work can be ever-changing, collaborative, political, creative, and challenging...not to mention very fulfilling! We support the needs of our staff and work hard to be a flexible, healthy working environment.
- Implement promotion and outreach strategies for social media platforms in coordination with the Communications Manager (focus on Instagram/TikTok)
- Research and implement ways to connect with new target demographics online
- Collaborate with Communications Manager on the Fringe’s social media presence
- Assist with social media asset creation as needed
- Manage a database of cross-promotional agreements and sponsorship fulfillment requests
COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATION
- Assist Communications Manager in proofing Fringe program and website listings
- Assist Communications Manager with ad sales logistics
- Tracking of ad artwork/program artwork with artists, as needed
- Routine website and Eventotron updates as needed
- Other admin tasks as needed
- Expand relationships within IBPOC communities:
- Help create packages and group bookings to festival
- Creation of outreach materials to raise awareness with specific communities
- Update/expand outreach database
- Establish long-term relationships/contacts that could exist after festival
- Expand relationships within disability communities and provide resources:
- Management of data flow for Access Supplement
- Coordinate other access materials such as ASL videos and audio/visual guides
- Distribute resources
- Update/expand outreach database
- Kids Up Front:
- Create list of shows that have opted in
- Administer and track group bookings
- When needed, meet groups at theatre to mitigate box office issues
- Submit brochure to TDSB for approvals and distribution
- Proactively reach out to day camps and day care groups to book tickets to KidsFest performances
- Take group bookings and advise on show selection for summer camps and daycares
- When needed, meet groups at theatre to mitigate box office issues
- The Outreach Coordinator may be required to assist with other youth ancillary programming that is offered during the Fringe Festival, as needed
- Ad sales – Help department reach revenue targets, with a focus on selling ads to wider community
- Develop a distribution plan for program guide delivery and execute delivery with support from the Communications Manager
- Help facilitate Fringe artist involvement in community outreach events and digital engagement Assist with artist programs as needed
WORKING AT FRINGE
Toronto Fringe works in a hybrid model that adopts a flexible approach to balancing work and home demands of its full-time team members.
Toronto Fringe is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the communities we serve, as well as actively working on dismantling systems of oppression and centering care in our work. We actively encourage and prioritize applications from equity-deserving groups. Equity-deserving groups can include those who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Trans, Nonbinary, Queer, Disabled and intersections of those identities.
This paid position runs 20 weeks (March to late July). Candidates must be available for every day of the 2024 Toronto Fringe Festival (July 3-14, 2024).
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Have 1-5 years working experience in communications and/or outreach for an arts organization or independent arts work considered comparable
- Have a passion for the value of performing arts, and a strong desire to foster community outreach to youth and groups historically considered left out of “traditional” theatre
- Have overall knowledge of the Fringe Festival movement and philosophy of the Fringe, and its place in the performing arts community
- Have superior administrative and problem-solving skills
- Have strong sales skills and know-how to write a solid pitch for the Fringe
- Have strong computer skills and ideally knowledge of design programs (Adobe creative suite, Canva, etc.)
- Have an understanding of all social media platforms, and how to use those platforms for effective advertising and marketing
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
Nice to Haves:
- Contacts or connections with youth/arts organizations that primarily serve equity-deserving communities
- Experience supervising volunteers or large groups of young people
- Experience managing and tracking a large database of information
HOW TO APPLY:
Alternatively, submit the information on the application form (see below for outline of questions) in a single PDF by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2024 Marketing Associate Application
The deadline to apply is Wednesday February 14, 2024, 11:59pm ET
The link takes you to a form with the following questions:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Pronouns (optional)
- Self-Identification (optional)
- What draws you to and excites you about working with the Toronto Fringe Festival? (answer in 1 to 2 paragraphs)
- What skills and experience make you an excellent fit for this role? (answer in 1 to 2 paragraphs)
- What do you hope to gain from this experience? (answer in 1 paragraph)
- Is there anything else?
- Upload a current CV in PDF format
We include the optional opportunity for voluntary self-identification, for you to share with us any important identities you hold that shape your identity/experience in a way you would like known.
The Toronto Fringe is committed to employment equity and diversity. Everyone is welcome to apply. We encourage applicants from equity-seeking communities and intersecting identities to apply. Toronto Fringe is committed to providing staff with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, and fostering an inclusive and supportive workplace.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you would like to apply but require additional time, or you need accommodations of any kind to apply for this position and/or would like to submit your materials in an alternative format, please contact the hiring committee at email@example.com before the application deadline of February 14, 2024
Final candidates will be asked for references. All applications are considered confidential.
PROCESS AND KEY DATES
January 24, 2024: Position posted
February 14, 2024: deadline to apply, by 11:59pm ET
February 19-23, 2024: interview (in-person or via Zoom, restrictions permitting) with the Communications Manager and Development Coordinator
Week of February 26: Reference check, offer
March 11, 2024: candidate begins