• Please submit plays via email as PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Playwrights should not include any indentifying information in their play.
• Please include a letter in the body of the email with the play attached that outlines the history of the creation of this play. This letter should detail all related workshops/readings and dramaturgy. If there is a musical demo to submit, please do so via cloud-based link. Playwrights must also include their name and full contact information in this email.
• Plays must be in standard theatre script formatting. https://playwrightsguild.ca/events/resources/other-materials/scriptformatting/
• If you play has more than 6 roles, you must demonstrate which roles can be played by the same actor.
• Play pages must be numbered.
• Jurors do not provide feedback on submitted plays.
• $36.30 in Canadian funds per play is to be paid with each submission on or before SEPTEMBER 5, 2023
• Click here or call (416) 924-6211 x 0 with a Visa or Mastercard.
• Playwrights do not need to be Jewish but must be Canadian (dual citizenship is acceptable).
• Play content must have a Jewish focus, depicting a prominent theme or aspect of Jewish life.
• Plays must be no less than one hour and no more than two hours in length.
• Novel, short story or poetry adaptations are accepted, but the playwright must have the rights to the original source, or the source of the adaptation must be in the public domain.
• Musicals are eligible. Please submit lyrics and/or musical tracks with your play.
• Plays must be in English.
• Plays that have been previously produced under a Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) production agreement. Workshops are eligible.
• Plays that have been previously produced outside of the CAEA agreements and staged for more than one week, except for Fringe productions.
• Plays that have been previously submitted to the Canadian Jewish Playwriting Competition in the last ten years.
• Plays with more than 6 roles that cannot be divide among 6 actors.
• Plays that are not written in English.
• Screenplays will not be accepted.
• The winning playwright will receive $1,000 (CDN) and an 8-hour CAEA workshop with a director and up to six actors. This workshop concludes with a public reading.
• The winning playwright will be announced in January 2024.
• This program is generously funded by The Asper Foundation.
• The jury members are representatives of Manitoba (Winnipeg Jewish Theatre), Ontario (Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company), and Quebec (Segal Centre for the Performing Arts) Jewish-arts communities.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 5, 2023
Questions: Deanna Di Lello, Coordinator of Adult Arts and Culture • email@example.com