In celebration of its 50th Anniversary Season, Young People’s Theatre (YPT) announced Leaps and Bounds – A National Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) Play Creation Initiative. This program is designed to encourage new play development in TYA through cross-country collaboration. YPT will serve as the program’s hub and will provide financial support for this ground-breaking initiative.
This innovative four year program commenced in YPT’s 2016.17 season, coinciding with Canada’s sesquicentennial. In its first four years, the initiative will be open to theatre companies working in association with an artist. Future years may be open to artists who are not affiliated with companies.
YPT will accept applications for Leaps and Bounds from across the country and select 1-2 projects to begin development each season. The development process for each project will be tailored to its individual needs.
Applications for 2023 are now open. The deadline is June 14, 2023.
Applications must include, in a single pdf file:
- Cover letter, including the name of the participating artist(s) and affiliate
- Summary of the proposed project
- Description of the desired development process
- Artist’s resume and company profile
- A sample of work in development or previous work.
Please send your application to Stephen Colella – firstname.lastname@example.org.
With Leaps and Bounds, YPT will strive to:
- Promote and foster the creation of new Canadian plays for young audiences by offering extended development timeframes and the financial support to make this possible,
- Forge new collaborations between companies and artists,
- Introduce companies and artists to the form of TYA,
- Support the expansion of cultural diversity and gender equity within the sector, and
- Encourage a range of live performance disciplines (dance/interdisciplinary work).
Click on the links below to see the participants for each year of YPT’s Leaps and Bounds.
For further inquiries, please contact Stephen Colella, Associate Artistic Director & Literary Manager at Young People’s Theatre, at email@example.com.